Friday, May 02, 2008

WT Week 4: The Status Symbol issue

  1. What's my Status Symbol? That is, what do you expect people to value and respect about you as a human being?
    I still have a little problem with this phrase as it relates to traits about ones nature and not their wardrobe. I don't expect anyone to value or respect what I wear on my body, but instead to value what I'm about and respect my beliefs.

    Example: I might dress in all 1950s-related gear of full skirts with petticoats, pumps, and delicate jewelry, however, that has no relation to how I view the role of women in the 21st century.

    I want people to know that I believe in preserving this planet and its resources for future generations, taking care of the things we can in the present in order to succeed in that goal, and instilling these same beliefs in youth so that they start out with the respectful attitude needed to continue the campaign. I also believe in taking responsibility in ones actions and reacting to life's situations and relationships morally and ethically

    I'd rather see status symbol as what you want someone to observe about you from your general impression on them. Not everyone needs to have as much information as is needed to actually value and respect you. The majority of the people you deal with day-to-day will not get that involved yet most will probably make some sort of snap mental observation about you in general.

  2. How does my wardrobe relate to my status symbol?
    With my status symbol aspects, I don't see how they could be reflected in clothes unless I was willing to condense my wardrobe to a minimal and purely utilitarian group of basics reflecting thrift, a lack of excess, and the sole use of natural fibers. I'm just not there yet.

    However, if I just wanted people's general impression of me to be as a fun, creative, and quirky person, then I think I'm there about 40% of the time. The rest of the time? Sometimes I'm either running late or have lost all imagination and what I wear isn't a good representation of who I think I am. However, since I did buy or make everything in my closet there really shouldn't be that kind of disconnect, should there? I guess I'll have to work on that some more.

  3. Do I want some aspect of my attire to be a conversation starter? If so, what?
    I wouldn't mind someone commenting on the fact that I make my own clothes every once and a while but of course I first have to start wearing more or just plain make more of them for that to happen.

No comments: