Monday, April 13, 2009

PBS, Oh How I Love Thee...

How I've been spending my Sunday nights in April:


Claire Foy as Amy "Little" Dorrit

Watching the PBS Masterpiece Classic version of Charles Dicken's Little Dorrit. Originally broadcast in England in 14 segments, we Yanks get to see it combined into five episodes. This makes me so happy because even after 1 1/2 hours of each episode I'm dying to see more. I have no idea how I would have lasted watching it a measly half hour at a time!

If you have not read the book (like me) I suggest you check this page at the PBS Masterpiece site to keep track of the multitude of characters.


Matthew Macfadyen as Arthur Clennam

If you wish to read the book online, here are two great sites, one is actually searchable so you can jump whereever in the book you wish, the other is just more appealing visually.
  • The searchable version here at dickens-literature.com
  • The easy to read HTML version here from the library of The University of Adelaide in Australia.
Also, if you've seen The Lord of the Rings movies, pay special attention to the character of the evil Frenchman Rigaud. Let's just say that the most strange and bizarre evil characters in both have something in common.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I loved when PBS would show Anne of Green Gables. I could watch that over and over and over.

Cosmo said...

Little Dorrit is so great. I haven't read the book so I have no idea how it is going to end and I can't wait to find out.

etoilee8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
etoilee8 said...

Is it just me or do period pieces become a bigger part of our lives the older we get? These days I swoon at the sight of Colin Firth in knickers and a top hat like nothing you've ever seen before. It's pathetic :)