Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sewing Mojo Needed

This is the third night in four days that I've hemmed an item of clothing. These are things that I've haven't been able to wear because they needed new hems. Tonight, I redid the lining hem of a skirt that shrunk in length a year ago. Because the back lining hung below the skirt I just stopped wearing it. Now I don't have an excuse.

Lately, I've been having a hard time starting new projects and using my old uncompleted projects as an excuse. I also think to an extent that my exposure to more concrete sewing techniques and sewist/sewer blogs have intimidated me a bit. There used to be a time when I didn't wash my fabric before sewing. I was never intimidated by knit patterns before, I just barreled through their construction no matter what. But I just recently started to always true up the fabric grain by pulling a thread or ripping, using flat-pattern measuring before I cut pattern pieces, and making muslins of the more suspect pattern designs. I know it's all worth it in the end but it doesn't help my procrastination problem knowing these steps should be added to the process.

I am going to try to push myself to finish as many as I can because I have a lot of new sewing planned ahead. The inspiration and ideas are there, I just need to get myself in gear.

2 comments:

Antoinette said...

Ahhh, maintenance sewing... well, what a nice payoff for a little bit of work, though. Hope you get to it and get through it. :)

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Learning the "right" way to do things does take some of the fun out of the process. As Karen said on her blog the other day, "Done is better than perfect." I think it's pretty clear that that's my philosophy!