Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Working The Vintage Kinks Out

Oops, I posted this on SewRetro over a week ago, but forgot to post it here!


I wrote about this top before when I first made it but I was never happy with the fit. Though you might not be able to see the difference this top has now been taken in quite a bit at the sides, the neckline width was reduced, the length was cropped, and it received an entirely new facing. I think the most noticeable change is the detail down the front. That was were I had to take a vertical tuck in the front because the neckline was far too wide to be comfortable or to keep from slipping off my shoulders!

I think I now know that I won't be making any more outfits from McCall's 8251 though I still love the "idea" of it so much. Trying to alter this pattern to make it workable has thoroughly frustrated me. I even thought I could find the pattern in the next smallest size and go from there but there is something odd enough about the sleeves and armholes that I'm not sure that would even work.

If anyone out there has made a similar pattern to this one that worked for them, like McCall's 8337, Simplicity 6634 (both below) or something else, please let me know, OK?

McCall's 8337

Simplicity 6634

Mosaic created with fd's Flickr Toys.

3 comments:

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I think the new version is cute, but if the armscye is weird I can see how you're ready to be done with it. Can't help you on the issue of similar patterns, but hopefully you'll find a replacement.

Antoinette said...

So in the collage, is the photo on the left from your May 6 post, and the photo on the right a new one we haven't seen till now? The top in the right-hand photo looks like a better fit than the top in the May 6 post.

It's all done and fits your frame! Happy day! :)

lsaspacey said...

No, the photo on the right was from May 6. Can you believe I forgot I already wrote about this? Wow, and it was only a month ago. I need a vacation.