Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dress as Finished Project! - Burdastyle Anda



The Burdastyle Anda is finished and has been worn to work successfully. I will definitely remake this dress sometime because it really was easy.

My problem (and the reason it took so long) was in choosing this mystery fabric for the muslin. It stretched all over the place, which made it incredibly hard to hem. I ended up just biting the bullet and using the ruled lines on my cutting board, pinned the dress down across the shoulders and at the sides so that it couldn't move around. Then using the lines on the board I recut the hem* straight along one of those lines. This would have been easier to perfect it I had a rotary cutter but it still worked fine. I attempted to use my new 1/4" hemming foot but unfortunately, the slipperiness of the fabric wouldn't feed elegantly into the tool so I soon abandoned that method. Instead I just basted 1/4" from the edge and turned that upon itself between my fingers and winged it. It's definitely good enough for a first try/muslin.


I would love to try this dress again with a rayon challis, because I do love the draped shape of this dress. I have yet to try it with a belt but as the dress was meant to have an elasticized waist I'm sure it will look cute.

Now onto my next unfinished-but-soon-to-be-finished project.

More:
The Goal This Weekend...
Starting Up Again

*It's now a bit shorter than I would prefer; two inches above the knee. No bending over in this dress allowed!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

You look great - this dress really works for you!

Antoinette said...

You are just so cute! Great dress. I'd hang onto this pattern, now that you've custom fit it, and make every variation: cinched waist, collared, ruffled, etc. etc. Just a great-looking dress on you!

BTW, finally saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I wasn't prepared for how emotionally compelling it would be, and I paid attention to the red dress Cate Blanchett was wearing since I'd just seen it on your blog!

carlita dee said...

Perfect! Looks so cute on you.

Mariela Alethia said...

the muslin looks great. Whenever you are sewing a slipery fabric, try putting tissue paper under the fabric and sew, when your are done just tear off the fabric