Monday, July 06, 2009

Inspiration from MORE magazine?

Yes, I'm reading MORE magazine. I bought an issue a few months after my 40th birthday and was very upset. That issue had a multitude of articles and ads dealing with plastic surgery that angered me. I expected the mag to be about embracing and loving the age you are instead of trying to hide it. However, I've since read a few more issues left at my local Starbucks and have given the mag another chance. One thing I've enjoyed are the cover subjects and interviews; Patricia Clarkson, Holly Hunter, Michelle Obama, Emma Thompson, all smart, sassy, independent-minded women who would be cool to hang out with.

Well, enough about the magazine and more about why I'm writing. In this month's July/August issue, in an article about actress Julia Ormond there are these few lines of text that hit me.

"A Buddhist friend told me that if you're feeling stressed, get rid of the stuff you don't need and finish the things you've started."

Though Julia then goes on to make a joke about it, I thought it was great advice. I mean I've been sorta moving in that direction, but I guess I really needed to see it put that simply for it to really hit.

5 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I have that magazine and it was a great article...but I was struck by the beautiful black & white ensembles they had Julia in. I think I may need to copy some of them!

Marcy said...

I love More magazine. I love the articles about re-invention, which I desperately need to do. So much inspiration--

I love the Julia Ormond spread this month--

Anonymous said...

Lisa, thank you for sharing that quote. I really needed to hear that.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is good advice, if only I could find a way to follow it....

Anne At Large said...

What a nice quote, I agree! Such a sensible sentiment, yet one we manage to follow so rarely.