Monday, October 17, 2011

Twist Top - Butterick 5429

Item 3 of the Fall Palette Challenge:

Pattern: Butterick 5429 (2009)


Pattern Description: Long-sleeved twist top with dropped shoulders



Pattern Sizing: Size BB (8-14), I made a size 12 since I was making it in a knit. Could have cut it even smaller, maybe by two sizes.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very much.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The only issue I have with the top is the one I had when I made my first one. The pattern illustrations are deceiving. They show a more nipped in waist and in fact, the pattern description calls this a close-fitting top. I disagree. This is very much a loose-fitting top when made according to their instructions.



Fabric Used: 1.5 yards Global Traveler "tribal" rayon jersey (95% rayon, 5% Spandex) at $9 a yard (orig. $14.99 per yard) from Jo-Ann Fabrics.



Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Because I wanted it to be a more fitted top I cut it one size smaller. When I realized I could have cut it even smaller I changed the seam allowances from 5/8" to 3/4". The design still left a lot of extra fabric hanging beneath the twist, far too much to be attractive, so after completing the front bodice I decided to scoop out that front seam, curving in from the bottom of the open twist to one inch at the middle and and then back out to the hem, blending the stitching into the original seams. That was exactly what it needed to streamline. I then altered the pattern piece accordingly so I won't have to deal with that again.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I would make it again in both knits and wovens. I have already cut the pattern down to a size 8 and made the center bodice alteration, so of course I'm going to try this again. I would recommend it to others but suggest that a muslin be made first.

Conclusion: I love it, the shape, the colors and the print. This top goes with many of the pants and skirts that I already have and the ones I plan to make.

6 comments:

Mariela Alethia said...

Love the fabric and thank for the infomation regarding the pattern

Lindacakes said...

Really pretty! I appreciate your advice about the sizing. Will give this pattern a try. Thanks!

Audrey said...

Great looking top. I saw this fabric at joann and seriously considered buying it cause nice rayon/lycra knits are hard to find. I just had a similar knit fit issue. Made the pattern in a smaller size and it was still to big. It is in my wadder pile. Kudos to you for knowing what changes to make so this top turned out so well fitted and pretty.

Mikimoto Angel said...

I love that print! :-)

I'm a new follower. I hope you follow me back. :-)

Much love from Mystic Nymph.

wholesale jewelry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SEWN said...

Love that print and the top is so cute on you.