Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pull-on Ponte Skirt - New Look 6977

Pattern: New Look 6977 c. 2010

Pattern Description: Misses' pull-on slim/full skirts, pants, and raglan-sleeve top. A Just4Knits pattern.

Pattern Sizing: Size A (6-16) I cut between a 12 and a 14 according to finished garment measurements.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very much. There isn't much to them but I did appreciate that the pattern begins with some tips on sewing knits. Therefore, I used a combination of straight and zigzag stitches.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The shape seemed very flattering. I chose it because it would not result in a highly noticeable and thickly gathered waistband.


Fabric Used: Approximately 7/8” yards green double knit* from VA/DC/MD swap, Dritz 2" wide elastic, and Gutermann 100% polyester thread in Spruce, #784.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Looking at the finished measurements, the pattern allowed for 2' wearing ease, which is too much for a knit pattern. As my double knit has decent stretch and I had a limited amount of fabric I cut the skirt piece as size 14 to eliminate the ease and save fabric. Since I was working from a remnant, I folded 1/2' horizontally out of the waistband piece, making it possible to cut the two I needed out of the remaining fabric.

After basting the skirt together, I re-cut the skirt at a size 12 at the waist grading out to a 14 at the hips and below. I then shortened the waistband piece to size 12 also.


Since I had shortened the depth of the waistband piece, I had to change the waist seam allowance to 1/4" in order to still use the 2" elastic. For durability, I sewed another line of stitching 1/8" away from that one. The elastic measurement I used was decided by trial and error and not by the elastic guide provided by the pattern. I ended up cutting off more than four inches smaller than the size 14 marking to get the fit that I wanted because of the excess fabric. When I make this next, I think I will use the size 10 pieces for both the waistband, elastic, and possibly go smaller on the skirt piece too. For the elastic I could also use the rule of "minimum stretch" as explained here on the Madalynne blog.

Yes, sir, that is a truly blind hem!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, with my adapted pattern. I am quite happy with my skirt. I suggest you always check the finished garment measurements for any Simplicity and New Look patterns meant for knits, as they usually allow too much wearing ease, if anything there should be none or some negative ease. According to my measurements I would have made a size 16 while I ended up with a skirt two sizes smaller at the waist and one size  smaller at the hips.


Conclusion: An easy simple pull-on skirt in a lovely color. What more can you ask for?

* This is a remnant left over from making the Simplicity 5289 dress.

3 comments:

Virginia at A Sewing Life said...

Great color! Looks like it will be a welcome addition to your wardrobe!

Anonymous said...

Great make Lady! Nice color and fabric. I know you'll get lots of wear out of that skirt. Not a lot of ironing!!! Enjoy!

Denise@@thebluegardenia.com said...

Love that skirt. Great job.