Monday, May 18, 2015

Jolly Green Tee - Grainline Studio Hemlock


Pattern: Grainline Studio Hemlock Tee  (2013)


Pattern Description: T-shirt with a relaxed fit, slightly scooped neckline, long sleeves, and self-fabric neck binding.

Pattern Sizing: One size fits all. Finished measurements: Bust – 44.5″, Hip – 46.5″


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, extremely easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? You mean besides the fact that it was free? Well, it is an easy shape with simple construction and a quick turnaround.


Fabric Used: 2 yards Kelly green and white (50% cotton, 25% rayon, 25% poly) striped tissue knit from Girl Charlee.




Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made no changes except for cutting my top 5 inches shorter than designed, it ended up being exactly the same length as the sleeves when my arms are down. On me the original length was more tunic than a t-shirt. In fact, if I had added just 12 inches to the pattern it would make a perfect knee-length dress.

Otherwise, despite not having a serger, I sewed it together following the instructions with my sewing machine. Two layers of stitching, one straight while stretching the fabric slightly, and then one narrow zig-zag, as always. However, I made a mistake in that I used a 5/8" seam allowance when it seems it required an 3/8" seam, so it did result in a different fit.


The 23" measurement for the neck binding didn't work for me, I had to stretch it quite a bit to fit and unfortunately, you can tell. Hopefully, another wash will shrink it up some.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I will definitely make this again and it would be a great beginner project.

Conclusion: A fabulous basic that can be made not so basic depending on your fabric type and design choices. But it looks especially cute made up in stripes, right?

1 comment:

Faye Lewis said...

Very nice shirt.