Sunday, September 04, 2016

If It Ain't Broke Dress - New Look 6216

 

Pattern: New Look 6216 (2013)

Pattern Description: Top with wide scoop neck and cut-on sleeves with hem bands.

Pattern Sizing: Size A (8-18) I cut this one using my previously adapted pattern for View B. Those extensive adaptations altered the pattern to an 8 at the neckline and shoulder, a 14 for the sleeve length, 10 at the bust, 8 right above the waist, and tapering back out to a 12 at the hip.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes, but I extended the length of this one for a dress.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very much.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It is a very quick and easy design and I found the neckline very flattering.


Fabric Used: One yard of navy blue and heather gray half-inch striped (50% cotton, 25% rayon, 25% poly) knit from Girl Charlee.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: For my original alterations to this pattern, please refer to this blog post. I made this boxy top much more flattering to my figure than the original pattern design by applying changes. For this version of the pattern, I wanted a dress so I extended the length about 17 inches, widening out from a size 12 at the high hip.

Since I had made this pattern before in a stripe fabric, I decided to trace the pattern so I could create a full-size pattern and cut it out as a single layer. My only hesitation was I had no idea how much width to add for an A-line dress. I eventually chose to compare the finished garment measurements of  both Butterick 6182 and McCall's 7432 and use the skirt portions of their patterns to create a template for the skirt of this dress.

Since I chose to use a full-size pattern, the cutting was so much easier. To ensure the stripes matching on the finished garment I just had to remember the position of the underarm curve and the pattern notches on their corresponding stripes when laying out the pattern.

I finished my seams in my tried-and-true way of a line of zigzag stitching on the seam lines that need stretch and then a straight stitch 1/8" away. I then trimmed the seam allowance down closer to the stitching.

The construction of this dress was so easy that I was able to complete the majority of it the night before a trip. Fortunately, the use of parallel stripes and a knit allowed me to cut the bottom of the dress along a single stripe and wear it as-is.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I will definitely make this one again especially as I now have a pattern for a dress version and I know how quick it is to sew.


Conclusion: Another great custom TNT pattern for me.

*Modeled photos taken by Vacuuming the Lawn on the streets of Philadelphia.

3 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Nothing beats a great horizontally stripped knit T-dress. Yours is cute!

Siobhan (Chronically Siobhan) said...

I agree, if it works, stick to it. And this dress turned out really well!

Anonymous said...

That top pattern is too cute, as are your fabric choices. I love todesign clothes online